Thursday, May 31, 2012

DIY Laundry Soap

Two adults, three kids. 

Two boys that smell like boys and do boy things (like fish and swim in ponds and mow yards and ride bikes and sweat - alot) and one girl who wears things for 15 minutes and they are dirty (and rides her bike and swims everyday and sweats like her father) = a butt-load of laundry.

I wash at least five loads of laundry a week.  Now that summer is here I am washing even more, more like eight loads a week.  The cost of a 150 oz. bottle of Tide that advertises it will wash 90 loads of laundry sells for $17.97 at Wal-Mart.  That will not even last the whole summer.  For the less money and a little time I can wash clothes all year long!

Here's what you need:
They can all be found in the laundry detergent isle of Wal-Mart.

2 bars of Fells Naptha Soap  $0.98 each
(An old fashioned washing soap)

Arm and Hammer Washing Soda  55oz box $5.95
This will be enough for 4 batches of laundry soap.
(Don't confuse this with baking soda.  They are different!)

Borax 55oz box $3.95
This will be enough for 4 batches of laundry soap.
(A natural alternative to color safe bleach for 115 years)

5-6 one quart canning jars

In a large sauce pan gently warm 6 cups of water.  Grate both bars of soap using a box grater (i used my food processor with the grating disk).  Add to warming water and stir until dissolved.


Keep this on low - don't let it boil or you will end up with soap suds everywhere! 

Once the soap is melted take your pan off the burner and stir in 2 cups of borax and 2 cups of the washing soda.  Stir until combined.  Spoon equally into 4 quart jars.  Add enough water to come up to the shoulder of the jar.  Put the lids on and let them sit overnight.

The soap will harden into what feels like cornmeal mush in the bottom of the jar and you will think that this is never going to work but.......this icky looking mess will become light whipped laundry soap concentrate in no time :)



In the bowl of a stand mixer (I use my KitchenAid) or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, pour liquid from one jar.  Take a knife and sort of slice up the soap left in the bottom and add to the bowl.  Since I am frugal, I add about a tablespoon of hot water to the jar and swish it around to get the last little bit of soap out and add it also.  It will look like this......



Starting on low and gradually increasing to medium high whip the soap until it becomes fluffy and pale yellow.  It will look like a yellow whipped cream when it is ready.





When it is the consistency of whipped cream, put it back into the jar and seal it up.  Repeat with the other 3 jars.  I usually get a yield of 5-6 quarts of soap.

*you could add some essential oil to the soap as it is whipping for added scent.  Lavender would be nice, or tea tree perhaps.  I like the bright citrus scent that this recipe has so I haven't tried adding anything yet.

It is very concentrated and I use about a tablespoon per load of laundry.  Yes, it is he washer friendly.  I use it in my front loader washing machine.  I add my soap directly to the drum and bypass the detergent drawer. 

I find about four batches a year will keep my family in clean clothes.  So....about $14.85 for a YEARS worth of laundry.  That is something that makes me happy!

And see how cute the jars look in my laundry room cupboard!


2 comments:

  1. I love this blog. I love this idea. I want to do it. I'm scared to do it. I would chew my nails in anticipation but I don't have any left. I have to do this. You torture me woman. Thanks! I love you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. hows about i bring you some to try? then, my dear amelia, you will know if you like it! love you right back <3

    ReplyDelete